Aguscello, the asylum of the ghost children
Aguscello is a small fraction of Ferrara unknown to many, but not to the so-called ghost hunters. In this small town there is an old building that attracts many lovers of the paranormal or simple onlookers, being considered one of the most haunted places in Italy. The history of the structure is shrouded in mystery and the news that appears on the web is often contradictory. For this reason I will rely on the so-called "word of mouth" with many "but" and many "if". The building in question appears to be in the possession of the Italian Red Cross. In 1940 it was given to nuns to manage it as an infant or "pedagogical" asylum, as many prefer to call it. The users were children under the age of thirteen. And now the first "but", in fact there are no real testimonials about the existence of this institute, it is said that there are no documents in this regard, as if someone had wanted to hide the evidence of his existence. The fact is that beds, wheelchairs and games were found inside. In addition, in the surrounding areas, various equipment and tools for electroshock. The sad reality of asylums in those years is known to all and for certain "experiments" there were no concerns even for the little ones.
small village in the heart of Tuscany
Monteriggioni is located in the center of Tuscany, at the southwestern end of the Chianti region, rises on the so-called hill of Monte Ala and overlooks the Via Cassia-Francigena. Part of the so-called Montagnola Senese presents a very varied territory; around the relief of Montemaggio there are some small plains such as Pian del Lago and Pian del Casone, and the Canneto, alternating with a series of small valleys formed by streams and streams that characterize the central and eastern part of the territory. Monteriggioni is one of the most famous walled villages of Italy, famous all over the world, surrounded by a majestic city wall 570 meters long with a thickness of 2 meters; it is interspersed with fifteen 15-meter towers (one inside the city walls) and two entrance doors: Porta Franca (towards Siena) and Porta San Giovanni (towards Florence). The fortress of Monteriggioni was originally surrounded by the "charcoal pits", a moat filled with coal, which during the assaults was burned to repel the enemies, it is thought that in the past, it was equipped with a drawbridge that had to allow the passage on a now disappeared, external moat. Monteriggioni was also placed under control of the ancient Via Francigena, frequented by European pilgrims who wanted to reach Rome.
spur of the Gargano, in the cave of the devil
Monte Sant'Angelo (also known simply as "Mònde", according to the local dialect) is an Italian town in the Puglia region that has just under 13,000 inhabitants spread over an area of 245.13 square kilometers. It is located in the province of Foggia, more precisely on a spur of the Gargano in a wooded area, at an average altitude of 796 meters above sea level and within an area known for the spectacular alternation of mountainous terrain and flat terrain: the latter is also directly wet from the sea (think of the fraction of Marina di Monte Santangelo) The history of Monte Sant'Angelo is directly linked to that of the cave of the Archangel Michael, which, according to local tradition, appeared in vision to the bishop of Spionto san Lorenzo Maiorano on May 8, 490, ordering him to dedicate the place to Christian worship . The cave of the archangel Michael was known to the Lombards, who during the seventh century after Christ raised it to their national shrine and also to the Saracens, who sacked it in the year 871. The place became a must for the Crusaders heading to the Holy Land already starting from the tenth century and between the year 1000 and the year 1100 just in its neighborhood began to develop the urban settlement that would become the municipality that we know today. Monte Sant'Angelo obtained the title of city directly from Pope Boniface IX in the year 1401 and was subsequently granted to Giorgio Castriota, also known as Scanderberg: a noble Albanian leader and patriot, distinguished during the resistance against the Ottomans. During the seventeenth century the municipality would have joined the Kingdom of Naples and would have overcome a very severe epidemic of plague, while during the following century it would have started to grow from an urban point of view. At the same time, the history of the Sanctuary mentioned above has continued to welcome dozens and dozens of saints, popes and very important religious figures: starting from St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Catherine of Siena and St. Francis of Assisi, arriving to Pope John Palo II (in 1974, when he was still a cardinal of Krakow).